Friday, December 18, 2009

Sick Girl

Poor Carlee Jean has been super sick. Last weekend we were in Boise and she had a fever and was complaining about her neck hurting. We took her into the E.R. Friday morning to see what was going on. Her lymph nodes in her neck were swollen huge and had a high fever. They told us to keep an eye on her and bring her back in if she got worse. So Saturday morning we took her back in. They looked her over and said she a UTI. So we went back to my moms and she was miserable. The Motrin wasn't helping her anymore and her fever was super high. I didn't feel very confident in her diagnosis. There was so much going on with her that it didn't seem right.

At the E.R. in Boise

We were in Boise for my parents homecoming, but Sunday morning Carlee was not doing good. She hadn't slept in two nights and her lips were swollen and staring to crack. So we packed up early and went home, missing my parents talking in church. The ride home was a long one.

Monday morning, after another long night, I took her into her pediatrician. He took one look at her and said she doesn't have a UTI. Her eyes were blood shot, lips were bleeding, stomach hurt, fever was 104, rash on back, palms were red, along with many more things. He sent us to the hospital to get blood tests. He called us a few hours later to tell us she had Kawasaki Disease a disease that causes your blood vessels to swell. Carlee was a text book case of Kawasaki. She had every symptom, which was to her advantage. It is a hard disease to diagnose because they don't know very much about it. Where she had every symptom it made it easier.
They told us they had called up to Primary Children's Hospital and they were expecting us.

Tuesday afternoon they were getting ready to start her treatment and for some reason her blood pressure dropped. The scary thing about the disease is that it can cause permanent damage to the veins and arteries in the heart. So they rushed her in for a heart echo, which is an ultra sound on your heart. Her heart looked fine and her blood pressure came back up, but they wanted to keep a closer eye on her for the night, so they moved her to PICU. She started her treatment that night which was given thru an IV. It takes 10 hours. She slept really good that night.
The next afternoon she was moved out of PICU. She also had to have a more extensive heart echo for which she had to be sedated. They get a good look at the coronary arteries in this one. Her heart looked good. The left coronary artery had some swelling, but nothing too serious. They expect it to go back down. When she woke up from her sedation she was ready to eat for the first time in four days. She wanted a burrito and a root beer. She chowed it down. We were so thrilled because that meant hopefully the treatment was working and we wouldn't have to get it agian. That night she slept really good again.



She woke up the next morning and was ready to eat again. I asked her what she wanted and she said a burrito and a root beer. Nothing like the smell of enchilada sauce at 7:30 am.....but just glad she was eating!!



Phil's parents had kept Bodie for us and at night Phil would come home and I would stay at the hospital. I was really missing my Bodie. So Thursday, Bodie and I spent the afternoon together while Phil stayed with Carlee. Since it was flu season, no visitors under 14 can come to the hospital. So when Phil was bringing Bodie up to hang out with me, Carlee and I just happened to be out on a walk around the hospital and ran into them in the lobby. Weird how that happens. Bodie and Carlee were so cute! They were excited to see each other. Bodie gave her the biggest hug!

And finally.....Friday we got to come home. Her fever had been down for 48 hours and they were confident in her progress. She still looks pretty awful. Her poor little lips are terrible. She has to have a few more heart echos in the next few weeks to make sure she is in the clear for heart damage. But the disease is curable and there is a very small chace she will ever get it agian. She even got up and played for a few hours today. She gets really tired, but seems a little better every day!

This is her today (Friday). She looks beat up. Don't even get me started on her hair. It is MATTED like you wouldn't believe, but we will deal with that tomorrow. I don't have the heart to make her do anything she doesn't want to do!

19 comments:

Brent and Emma Wright said...

I'm SO happy she's home before Christmas and doing well! Love ya!

Unknown said...

How sad it that. I am so glad that she is better and that you survived. I'm sorry you didn't get to hear your mom's and dad's talk but know that Carlee needed to be home. I am so thankful she is better.

A said...

Oh my gosh Jenny! I am so happy she is okay. I keep hearing about all these little girls having health problems,cancer etc... it freaks me out. I am so happy her condition is curable!!!

The York Family said...

Oh no!! I didn't even know poor little Carlee was sick. These pictures break my heart! What a sweet little thing! She looks like she just needs a big hug. I'm so sorry you guys have had to deal with this! Scary! I'm so glad that everything is ok, and that she is feeling better! Let us know if we can do anything to help you guys out!

jcwilles said...

How scary for you, Jenny! It just breaks your heart when your kids are sick and you can't help them the way you want to. Glad to know she's home and doing better.

Katherine said...

Poor Carlee (and mom and dad). I am so glad she is doing better and you finally got a correct diagnosis. Hope all the heart tests continue to be good! We will be keeping her in our prayers!

Krissy said...

Oh my goodness poor little thing. That must have been awful for the both of you. My heart was broken as I looked at those pictures of her.. I'm so glad she is doing better. My niece had Kawasaki when she was 2. It was scary. She is now 9 and very healthy! Keep us posted on her recovery!!!

The Bertagnoles said...

Jenny! Your poor little girl looks like she was such a trooper! Im so sorry you had to go through all this, but it sounds like things are turning out for the best. Ill keep you all in our prayers!!! love ya!

dlhadlock said...

I seriously cried reading that whole thing. I could not imagine my 3 year old going through that. I am so glad that she is doing well. let me know if you need anything.

Chandra said...

Oh my gosh! I am so glad she's doing better! Only she could look so incredibly gorgeous while being that sick. Poor thing. Please let us know if you need anything- like movies or ice cream or burritos or root beer... :-) I am a vascular ultrasound tech now in Provo (dont do hearts though- otherwise I'd demand that you come see me if you ever wanted/needed to) but please let me know if I can do anything!!!

Natalie said...

Poor Carlee!!! I am so sorry that she got so sick, but so happy she is feeling better and everything is going to be okay!
Loved chatting it up with you and Phil that night... we have to do it again the next time we're in town.

FranklinandAmber said...

Wow, that must have been so traumatic. I hope she is doing better and her lips heal fast (ouch).

The Bender Family said...

So, so, SO glad she's doing better! I was scared for you guys! The difference in her pictures before the hospital and the next day are amazing! She looked so much better. Please let us know if you need anything! We're thinking of you and praying for you!

Trent and Carlie & Co. said...

I'm so sorry that she Carlee wasn't feeling good! It is so hard to have sick kids! I am glad everything is looking good! Please let us know if you need anything!!

Kim said...

I am so sorry I didn't know about this. I'm glad Carlee is home though (no fun being out for Christmas). Let us know if you need anything.

Melanie said...

That is so scary! It was always my worst fear to have my own child in the PICU after working there! I'm glad she is getting better! I feel so bad that I haven't talked to you for so long. Poor Carlee- she looks so sad. Hopefully she will be feeling a little better by Christmas. Call if you need anything!

Leah said...

Poor little lamb. I'm so sorry you all had to go through that; how scarry. I'm glad to hear that she is feeling and doing better. You all will be in my thought and prayers.

emily said...

hey jenny, i'm so sorry that happened to your family. That makes me so sad. Evan and I were just sick to our stomach thinking that that could happen to something so precious. I'm glad she's doing better. Hopefully we'll see you soon now that your dad is home

Kassie Temple said...

My poor baby!!!! I am soooo glad that she is feeling better!! Love ya!